Early Head Start & Head Start Program
Make a lasting positive difference in the health and well being of your family. The Early Head Start & Head Start Programs at The Lourie Center for Children’s Social & Emotional Wellness are federally-funded, community-based programs for low-income families as well as pregnant women with children from birth to five years old. The program serves children with disabilities, children in foster care and families that are homeless.
Benefits of Head Start
Working with trained Early Head Start & Head Start staff can help:
- Support your child’s development, learning and growth
- Increase family literacy
- Promote healthy parent-child relationships
- Provide parenting support and education
- Serve the needs of children with developmental delays or diagnosed disabilities
Apply if you meet all these criteria:
- Your family income is at or below federal poverty guidelines, or you have a child with a diagnosed disability.
- Your child is 5 years old or younger.
- You live in Rockville in Montgomery County or Adelphi, Hyattsville, Riverdale, Greenbelt or Landover in Prince George’s County.
Child Care Centers
Take advantage of child care services through Early Head Start & Head Start thanks to our partnership with several child care sites in Prince George's County and Montgomery County:
- Northwestern High School
- University Christian Church Childcare Center
- Several family child care centers
Mother & Child Health
If you’re expecting a new baby, Early Head Start & Head Start can help you have the healthiest possible pregnancy. Take advantage of prenatal care and education to help you get ready to take care of a newborn. The program also helps make sure your baby has a medical visit within two weeks of birth.
Count on Early Head Start & Head Start to refer your child for screening tests and make sure they receive referrals to resources when needed.
Request convenient visits to your home every week where our staff can help you:
- Learn parenting strategies and skills, supporting your role as your child’s first and most important nurturer, teacher and advocate
- Make your home a learning environment
- Set and work toward goals for your child and family
Make friends with and learn from other families while your children play together during twice-monthly group socializations.
Build close relationships with our staff, who get to know you and your child’s unique needs. Partner with a friendly, helpful team with training in Head Start and infant mental health. Your family will work with:
- Early childhood specialists
- Mental health professionals
- Registered nurse
- Social workers
Expect high-quality services and professionalism because our staff receive supervision, ongoing training and case management from other Head Start team members.
If you speak Spanish, you’ll communicate with staff who speak both English and Spanish.
Cost of the Program
Your family may qualify for free Early Head Start & Head Start services if you meet certain income requirements.
Cost of Child Care
You do not have to pay for the first six hours of Early Head Start & Head Start child care each day. You may have to pay for before and aftercare services.
Parent & Caregiver Input
Volunteer to share your opinion and make decisions about how the program is run. Take part in:
- Approval of staff hiring and dismissal
- Recommendations and approval of all budgets and program policies