Behavioral or emotional problems may make it hard for your child to learn in a typical preschool or daycare setting. Look to the Therapeutic Nursery Program (TNP) at Adventist HealthCare The Lourie Center for Children’s Social & Emotional Wellness to help support your preschool-age child’s growth.
Benefits of Specialized Preschool
Prepare your child for success in kindergarten and beyond. Your child’s therapeutic preschool plan will help them:
- Build healthy, trusting relationships with teachers and peers
- Experience academic success
- Improve classroom behavior
- Improve self-esteem
- Learn skills to process and regulate feelings
- Receive praise and positive reinforcement
When your child graduates from TNP, rely on our team to help support your child’s transition to kindergarten.
Through TNP, your family can receive other services to strengthen your relationships and improve your home life. Benefit from:
- Family therapy
- Play therapy
- Parent and caregiver education and support groups
- Consultation with child care providers as needed
Your child’s team may recommend other services from the Lourie Center.
Is TNP Right for My Child?
Learning in a TNP classroom may help your child if they have:
- Aggression or anger
- Anxiety and fearfulness, including separation anxiety
- Attachment disorder, which causes inability to make relationships or show affection
- Developmental delays in language, social, thinking or motor skills
- Disobedient, disrespectful or uncooperative behavior (oppositional defiant disorder)
- Frequent tantrums and outbursts due to frustration or anger
- Hyperactivity or impulsive behavior
- Past trauma
- Short attention span
- Shyness or social withdrawal
- Trouble getting along with children or adults
Your child may qualify for the program if you meet all these criteria:
- Your child is 3 or 4 years old.
- Your family lives in Montgomery County or Prince George’s County and meets certain income requirements.
- Your child has had problems or not been successful in other daycare settings, or they have not been in group care before.
Depending on your eligibility, there are half-day and full-day TNP options.
Trust our caring staff to get to know your child’s unique needs. Your child will work with a team of mental health professionals and early childhood educators, including:
- Senior and assistant teachers
- Clinical social worker
- Child psychiatrist and psychologist who provides consultation and testing
Feel confident in the professionalism of our services. All staff have training and expertise working with young children with emotional and behavioral problems and their families. Your child may also interact with volunteers and interns in the classroom.
Rest assured our staff will communicate with your family every step of the way. Count on our helpful staff to listen, answer your questions and provide support.
Choose the schedule that works best for your family:
- Half-day TNP hours: 8 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday year-round
- Full-day TNP hours: 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday for 10 months (August to June)
Care is not available before or after hours.
Your child may receive nursery services at:
- The Lourie Center in Rockville
- Highland Park Elementary School in Landover